Sunday, May 11, 2008

Differences in one group

I have studying ETS-10 in Wollongong College about one week. One of our study activities is group discussion; usually we are divided into a group of 4. Because all of us are International Students, so definitely in one group we have more than one nationality. For the example, my group in CL class consists of China, Iran and Indonesia nationality. We cannot use our first language to talk with others, and we need to make other members understand what we want to say. Actually it is interesting, not only good for us to practice our English but also develop our self-confidence. But at the first time, I got shocked and nervous. I prefer to keep silent and listening than speaking to them. Because we come from different country, our accent is different. I need to spend more time and attention listening what are they talking about, and understanding what is the meaning. I am also afraid, may be they won’t understand what I am talking about, or am I pronounced it right. So we try to speak slowly and clearly word by word, than it makes us easier to understand each other. Usually, we are not only discussing about the topic that teacher gave to us, but also our culture, target and major in University, experience in Australia, and our living environment. In the discussion, I know more about other county cultures, and learn the way they think and solve a case. May be some of our cultures are same, but some are different. I realize that our background and nationality influence to our lifestyle, habit and thinking way, we are look at a same problem with different point of view. It is really a good experience, I do not only learning English but also have a new knowledge about other countries.

No comments: